Read about my trip to Florence, Italy where between my weekend travels throughout Europe, Italian language courses, fashion marketing internship and Tuscan wine tastings on the weekends, I'm not sure if I'll ever want to return to "The States"...

Sunday, January 24, 2010

How to bargain in Italian


After allowing myself to sleep in today for the first time since I arrived in Europe about 10 days ago, my fellow interns and I decided to do some exploring through the Florentine markets. Florence is well known for its shopping on Ponte Vecchio (literally translated as Old Bridge) which houses some of the most beautiful original jewelry pieces I have ever seen. While most of these pieces were priced upwards of 350 euro and therefore slightly out of my price range, they were still fun to look at. The six of us came to the mutual consensus that we would just have to wait to bring our new Italian husbands here to pick out our engagement rings since we should be meeting them any day now.

We then ventured over to a small leather market where you could literally smell the fresh leather surrounding you. They also sold plenty of pashmina scarves at this market so I decided to treat myself to one. I’ve heard that at these Italian markets, no price is ever set in stone. So, after years of watching my dad bargain with ticket scalpers to pretty much any sporting event you can imagine, I figured I’d be pretty good at this whole negotiating thing. Being a blonde American couldn’t hurt too much either. Unfortunately I only ended up getting about 3 euro off the price of my scarf, but hey, that’s better than nothing.

Our interviews for our internships start tomorrow. While I’m still in the dark about who I am interviewing with, I’m very excited to begin this process. Hopefully I’ll find out more soon, but for now I’m just going to brush up on my interview skills in Italian. I figure that since I can say my name, where I’m from, and a few basic descriptive adjectives that were on our vocab sheet last week, I’ll hopefully be able to converse enough to convince them to hire me. Our internship coordinator told us that the main language spoken at all these companies is English and that they are just testing our Italian to see how much effort we are putting into assimilating into the culture. “A” for effort? Sounds good to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment