Read about my trip to Florence, Italy where between my weekend travels throughout Europe, Italian language courses, fashion marketing internship and Tuscan wine tastings on the weekends, I'm not sure if I'll ever want to return to "The States"...

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

The Vagina Monologues.

In honor of "La Festa delle Donne" aka International Women's Day, my roommate, Marissa, and I decided to go see "Monologhi di Vagina" last night. I wasn't really sure what to expect since I've never seen The Vagina Monologues in English, let alone half in Italian, but the show ended up being amazing.

The Vagina Monologues is literally a collection of monologues based off of the author's interviews with hundreds of women of all ages, religions, and nationalities about, you guessed it, their vaginas. The show is performed by amatuer actors but some of them gave absolutely beautiful performances. It written to raise money for VDAY which is the day that women will be victorious over the sexual violence that happens all over the world. This year's theme was about The Democratic Republic of Congo where women are brutally raped and murderd every day so that soldiers can collect the mineral tin from their villages and sell to companies that use them for cell phones, computers and mp3 players. It terrified me to think that my iPhone could potentially be contributing to these horrific events that women are experiencing because the documentary we watched on it had me crying within the first five minutes.

Fortunately, the show also had some hilarious monologues which were delivered by some very talented Italian women. OK, so I cheated and looked at the subtitle screen to understand what they were saying, but it was worth it because they had us all crying with laughter.

Marissa and I decided after the show that we definitely want to find a way to participate as a performer one day. It would be so much fun and it goes to a great cause. However, I would definitely have to practice a couple of times before I was comfortable enough to say some of the vocabulary they were using on stage in front of an audience...Buona festa delle donne!

No comments:

Post a Comment